meeplemaiden

meeplemaiden

Roxana: The Fortunate Mistress: Or, a History of the Life and Vast Variety of Fortunes of Mademoiselle de Beleau, Afterwards Called the Countess de Wintselsheim in Germany, Being the Person Known by the Name of the Lady Roxana in the Time of Charles II
Daniel Defoe
Progress: 136/356 pages
Elizabeth's Rival: The Tumultuous Life of the Countess of Leicester: The Romance and Conspiracy that Threatened Queen Elizabeth's Court
Nicola Tallis
Progress: 106/352 pages
The World Without Us
Alan Weisman
Progress: 36/287 pages
Italian Short Stories For Beginners: 8 Unconventional Short Stories to Grow Your Vocabulary and Learn Italian the Fun Way!
Olly Richards
Progress: 38/239 pages

Only People with Small Books Say Size Doesn't Matter.

— feeling evil grin

How do you guys feel about reading BIG books? I know a lot of people find them intimidating but I love the prospect of tucking in to a really fat book and getting lost in it. I have read a few this year:

Sarum - Edward Rutherfurd  clocks in at over 1000 pages, I believe.A favourite of mine and one which I have read multiple times

Seveneves - Neal Stephenson almost 900 pages. Also a favourite and I have read it twice.

Gnomon - Nick Harkaway nearly 700 pages. Not a favourite but I would read the author again and

Ultima - Stephen Baxter at 550 pages.

In addition I have just bought

Pandora's Star - Peter F. Hamilton which clocks in at 1151 pages and I hope to get to really soon.

Aside from these biggies I like to read books that have at least 300 pages or I feel a little cheated. Yes, I do agree, that is entirely the wrong attitude but it is hard to shake. So what do people in general think? What is a big book to you?