meeplemaiden

meeplemaiden

Roxana: The Fortunate Mistress: Or, a History of the Life and Vast Variety of Fortunes of Mademoiselle de Beleau, Afterwards Called the Countess de Wintselsheim in Germany, Being the Person Known by the Name of the Lady Roxana in the Time of Charles II
Daniel Defoe
Progress: 136/356 pages
Elizabeth's Rival: The Tumultuous Life of the Countess of Leicester: The Romance and Conspiracy that Threatened Queen Elizabeth's Court
Nicola Tallis
Progress: 106/352 pages
The World Without Us
Alan Weisman
Progress: 36/287 pages
Italian Short Stories For Beginners: 8 Unconventional Short Stories to Grow Your Vocabulary and Learn Italian the Fun Way!
Olly Richards
Progress: 38/239 pages

I Feel Stupid

— feeling beat brick
Gnomon - Nick Harkaway

This book definately belongs on the same shelf as Vellum, Splinter and Fairyland for me. The shelf should be titled 'Books I Just Don't Get'. I don't think of myself as being particularly dumb but this one went WAY over my head!. I can follow the very basic plot of the book but the meat of the story was just strange. Never mind. I would like to try another of the author's books but that probably won't be anytime soon.

A week later...

Right, so, I've revised my rating for the book because I have had time to think about it and understand what it was that bothered me. I understood the plot and the coming-together at the end, in other words, the basic storyline, which was really good. What I didn't get was the significance of the individuals' stories inside of Diana Hunter's head. I understood the overall significance of the individual characters themselves as part of the whole but their stories threw me. Maybe, I will reread it one day, now that I know what to expect and it will make more sense to me.