meeplemaiden

Progress: 32/496 pages
Host
Peter James
Progress: 26/624 pages
The Castle of Otranto: A Gothic Story (Oxford World's Classics)
Nick Groom, Horace Walpole
Progress: 6/192 pages
A Column of Fire (Kingsbridge)
Ken Follett
Progress: 36/766 pages
Italian Short Stories For Beginners: 8 Unconventional Short Stories to Grow Your Vocabulary and Learn Italian the Fun Way!
Olly Richards
33 A.D. (Bachiyr Book 1)
David McAfee
Progress: 10 %
Crime And Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

I was looking forward to reading this book with some trepidation which is silly really because I am reading to relax and it shouldn't be work. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't actually turn out to be work but rather an enjoyable, enlightening experience. It was a little confusing in places and seemed quite disjointed in the dialogue but that was the style of the story. I have to say however, that I would like to read a different translation at some point because some of the sentences felt rather literally translated and just didn't seem right. I don't know if this is really the case or whether it was how the story was written in the first place but it would be interesting to see how other translators interpret certain parts of the story.

The beautiful Vintage Russian Classics edition of the book was a bit of a pain to read. I don't like breaking spines and so I had terrible cramp in my hands. Thick pages and a thick cover made it difficult to bend the book far enough to be able to hold it comfortably. Maybe I shouldn't be quite so fastidious but we all have our little quirks don't we?